Tuesday, May 16, 2006

What is number, but approximation?

So. No more thought numbers. Who really cares anyway, right?

I've seen two really great shows in the last two weeks: 1) Sigur Ros at the Orpheum and 2) "The House of Blue Leaves" at the Jungle theater. Although I was a little disappointed by the Sigur Ros concert, I suspect that it had more to do with my expectations than anything else. That is, I had hoped that they would blow me away, but they were only really good. Weird, huh? So they still get the great show rating (especially on account of the last song they played- it was amazing), even if they weren't awsome beyond all belief. I have high standards, I know.

What really did blow me away though was this show at the Jungle. There were some characters who didn't develop as much as it would have been nice to have seen, but the two leads were incredible. I couldn't urge you strongly enough to go see this play. It features world-class acting, top-notch set and lighting design, and un-hyphenable writing (?). Anyway, sometimes the answer is "yes".

The answer is also "yes" to John Frusciante's "Curtains" album. Man, that guy just exudes style. I know he's gotten some flak for his vocal performances on some other albums, and there's no denying that he has a certain aesthetic that may not appeal to everyone, but these recordings are just solid. Thanks, Chris, for letting me borrow it.

In other news, Malcolm is still the sweetest dog in the entire world, Elliot just turned 8 (how did THAT happen?), and OCEANOVER has decided to add a member. Ideally he or she would be a cellist capable of playing other instruments as well (keys, horns?, guitar?). If one Mr. David Richardson happens to come across this blog and is interested, I think our collective musical abilities would bear unusual but tasty fruit. Do drop me a line if you can- I've managed to lose your number. Maybe I can still track you down...

ALSO, my mom is in Vienna for the next month and a half. I miss you, mum; hope you're having a grand time.

TTFN,
P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home