Thursday, January 18, 2007

still alive and kicking...

May 16th? Holy cow, that was ages ago. I suppose there aren't many out there who have missed my infrequent blogging, but I thought I'd throw another one up here since it's been so long. Let's see, what's in the news...

Well, as many of you know I recently earned my brown belt in Shaolin Kenpo, which feels pretty good. One of the things on my "life goals" list (yes, I make lists for these sorts of things) is to earn a black belt in this school, so I'm one step closer. It may be a bit before that happens though, judging from the amount of material I'll be responsible for knowing. Exciting and rewarding nevertheless.

Also, I just finished - as in within the last few minutes - putting the finishing, or almost finishing, touches on the new website. You can find that here: www.oceanover.com I'd be curious to know what you think...

The band is doing well: Jon has been putting a lot of time in laying down tracks for our LP (no name as of yet), we've got some spring cleaning to do at the studio I'm looking forward to, and we're still writing new material (which is AWESOME)- I can't wait to show some of it off at our next show at Station 4, Jan. 26th. I don't think it's up on their calendar yet, but check out www.Station-4.com for details.

Perhaps the most exciting thing on the horizon is the possibility of meeting, and maybe-just-maybe working with, Daniel Franc at the University of Minnesota. He's working on the M.D./Ph.D. program in the neuroscience department there, and has invited me to come and observe him, and eventually, hopefully, participate. It's still a little up in the air, but with any luck I'll be able to post some more solid news by the end of next week. Keep your fingers crossed.

On to books!! Caralyn gave me a copy of The Prestige, by Christopher Priest, for christmas. It details the respective histories of two rivalling nineteenth-century stage illusionists, and I had no idea it was a book. The movie recently came out and is excellent (starring Hugh Jackman, Michael Caine, and Christian Bale among others- and who's that dashing gentleman who plays the role of Nikola Tesla?), but the book was absolutely riveting. Quite different from the film in a few respects, but both are top notch in their own ways. I also managed to pick up a copy of A Canticle for Leibowitz, by Walter Miller, Jr., for a buck fifty at Half-Priced Books. This was a book I started to read while visiting my mom last year over my birthday, but hadn't finished. It's a fun, charming, post-nuclear-holocaust quick read. Find it. Read it. Love it.

On to music!!! Well, music other than oceanover anyway. Caralyn also gave me a copy of Incubus's new album, Light Grenades (isn't she nice?). It has a very "live" production value in some places, but is still masterfully wrought. While some of the lyrics feel a little trite at first, Brandon manages to pull them off in a pretty convincing way, and the album has really grown on me. The first two tracks are my favs so far.

Now I intend to go cuddle up with Malcolm- I took the day off!! Hope this finds you all well.

With great affection,
Paul

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to get caught up! Canticle for Liebowitz does seem quaint and dated now, but as you say, it's still a great read.

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home